[FLASH-USERS] Non-ideal MHD

Owen Matthews omatthew at astro.phys.ethz.ch
Tue Jul 17 11:09:25 EDT 2007

Hi,

I have a problem with non-ideal MHD hanging.

I'm trying a pretty simple test problem using the Orszag-Tang vortex as a
template but going to non-ideal MHD and to 3D cartesian (v and B not a
function of z). I'm using FLASH 2.4 with divb_diffuse, viscosity/constant
and magnetic_resistivity/const, but other than that it's pretty much the
Orszag-Tang test problem.

It works fine with very small values of resistivity and viscosity
(~10^{-12}) but for anything bigger it dies after just a couple of time
steps. It doesn't crash but gets stuck, while the time step remains at the
minimum length.

Has anybody got any idea what might be wrong here?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Owen.

Dr. Owen Matthews
Laboratory for Astrophysics    Tel (PSI): +41 56 310 42 56
Paul Scherrer Institut         Tel (ETH): +41 44 632 38 14
Wurenlingen und Villigen       Fax:       +41 56 310 26 46
CH-5232 Villigen PSI
Switzerland                    matthews at astro.phys.ethz.ch