[FLASH-USERS] Flash memory usage.

Georgi Pavlovski gbp at phys.soton.ac.uk
Fri Nov 30 09:29:12 EST 2007

Hi Brock,

I think the answer is no.  Each processor allocates unk array (at least
in flash 2.x), which is
(nvar)x(2*nguard+nxb)x(2*nguard+nyb)x(2*nguard+nzb)x(maxblocks) big in
double precision.  The rest of the variables are small compared to unk.
  This sets your memory requirements.  If you have a single fluid nvar=11.

- Georgi

Brock Palen wrote:
> How does flash do memory allocation?  If I am running into memory
> problems but my only option for more memory is to run on more nodes does
> flash subdivide the amount of memory in use evenly?
> For example:
>
> a model when running on 4 cpus, each process takes 10GB of real memory.
>
> If I run that same model on 8 how close will each process get to 5 gb of
> use?
>
> Brock Palen
> Center for Advanced Computing
> brockp at umich.edu
> (734)936-1985

   Dr Georgi B. Pavlovski        School of Physics and Astronomy
   Tel: +44-(0)-23-8059-2089     University of Southampton
   Fax: +44-(0)-23-8059-3910     Southampton SO17 1BJ, U.K.
   Email: gbp at phys.soton.ac.uk   Web: www.astro.soton.ac.uk/~gbp