[FLASH-USERS] how to Implement Isothermal EOS

Tomasz Plewa tomek at scs.fsu.edu
Thu Feb 7 08:47:30 EST 2008

M.A. -

You may consult Balsara, D., 1994, ApJ, 420, 197. There is also more
recent paper by Andrea Mignone (2007, JCP, 225, 1427). Some other
codes do have an isothermal EoS implemented (CLAW, Athena, VH-1) as
well as groups working on the evolution of protoplanetary disks. I
seem to remember a paper (Blondin? Stone?) giving the exact formulae,
but I don't have it handy.

The brute-force approach is to use a constant gamma-law (ideal) gas EoS with
gamma as close to 1.e0 as possible (e.g. 1.001). But in this case the
solution may be numerically unstable and some provisions needs to be
build into the Riemann solver. Using (naively) gamma=1 will almost
certainly break the code.

The bottom line is you need to replace the existing Riemann solver
with the isothermal version and implement an isothermal EoS.

Hope this helps.

Tomek
--
School of Computational Science, DSL 443       ph:  850.644.1959
Florida State University                       fax: 850.644.0098

M.A. Latife wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am using FLASH2.5. Is there any way to implement isothermal EOS.
> should i use heating and cooling source terms for this purpose or is
> there any other way to do this?
> kind Regards
> M.A.Latife

> believed to be clean.