[FLASH-USERS] 2D disk models

Peter Woitke woitke at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Tue Jan 8 06:47:45 EST 2008

Hi,

I have a very basic question. I would like to setup a FLASH model
in cylinder coordinates (r,z,phi) assuming 2D axisymmetry (d./dphi=0)
with rotation v_phi<>0.

My problem (or maybe just a misunderstanding) is that if I specify 2D
geometry = "cylindrical", there seems to be no rotation in the model
(v_phi=0?) and I cannot find/specity the v_phi variable. If you write down
the hydro-equations in cylinder coordinates, the problem becomes very
apparent: The equation of motion (r-direction) contains the centrifugal
term -(rho v_phi^2)/r. In order to keep track of v_phi, however, one needs
to solve the equation of motion (phi-direction), too, i.e. the angular
momentum conservation.

So what I want is a solution of the full 3D hydro-equtions in cylinder
coordinates just under the condition of axisymmetry d./dphi=0.

How do I do this with FLASH?

Thank you,

    Peter Woitke