[FLASH-USERS] 2D disk models

Tomasz Plewa tomek at scs.fsu.edu
Tue Jan 8 17:24:41 EST 2008

Peter, Giovanny -

The simplest recipe is to advect the gas specific angular momentum.
This is quite similar to advecting mass scalars (individual species)
and you can use one of the mass scalars for that purpose. (I hope mass
scalars are supported in the official 2.5 version.) Once you know
actual distribution of specific angular momentum, centrifugal force
can be easily calculated.

Hope this helps.

Cheers -

Tomek
--
School of Computational Science, DSL 443       ph:  850.644.1959
Florida State University                       fax: 850.644.0098

Giovanny Bernal wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a similar problem... how I put rotation (v_phi <>0) in
> cylindrical and polar geometries in flash2.5?? In init_block? in
> hydro_sweep?
> thanks
>
> El 08/01/2008, a las 04:47 AM, Peter Woitke escribió:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a very basic question. I would like to setup a FLASH model
>> in cylinder coordinates (r,z,phi) assuming 2D axisymmetry (d./dphi=0)
>> with rotation v_phi<>0.
>>
>> My problem (or maybe just a misunderstanding) is that if I specify 2D
>> geometry = "cylindrical", there seems to be no rotation in the model
>> (v_phi=0?) and I cannot find/specity the v_phi variable. If you write down
>> the hydro-equations in cylinder coordinates, the problem becomes very
>> apparent: The equation of motion (r-direction) contains the centrifugal
>> term -(rho v_phi^2)/r. In order to keep track of v_phi, however, one needs
>> to solve the equation of motion (phi-direction), too, i.e. the angular
>> momentum conservation.
>>
>> So what I want is a solution of the full 3D hydro-equtions in cylinder
>> coordinates just under the condition of axisymmetry d./dphi=0.
>>
>> How do I do this with FLASH?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>>   Peter Woitke

> believed to be clean.