[FLASH-USERS] conserve_var?

Cristian Giovanny Bernal bernalcg at astroscu.unam.mx
Wed Jul 9 20:32:01 EDT 2008

Hi people,

I have a question. The module MHD of Flash2.5 conserve the variables (like the mass)?
I am running a simulation with a rate of injection of  mass constant by one of the boundaries (Yr).
The other boundaries are periodic (Xl, Xr) and reflecting (Yl).
I have two setups (HYDRO & MHD) with exactly the same physic and boundary condition.
Nevertheless, when I plotting the flash.dat (using 1:2 "mass vs time"), I see that HYDRO_setup
conserve the mass in the dominion (see the attached plot), but MHD not. I do not why! The magnetic
field affect the conservation of the variables?

I'm setting the conserved_var   = .true. in the flash par, but the result is the same.

I had tried with several magnetic field configuration in the dominion, and with reflecting boundary
lower (Yl) or user_boundary with conduction properties, but this no change the result... THE
MHD_SETUP loss mass (no conserve the mass). I had saw the dens_profile both Setups and the inflow
mass is constant, but in the HYDRO_SETUP the mass is accumulated onto lower boundary while in
the MHD_SETUP the mass si not accumulated.

The physics used are: gravity (planepar), EOS (Helmholtz), neutrinoloss (a modified version of
radloss), Hydro and MHD. Cartesian coordinates are used in 2D.

any idea??? The FLASH3.0 also suffers from this?

very thanks for your help...

--
Instituto de Astronomia
Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico (UNAM)