[FLASH-USERS] Big Problem??

Tomasz Plewa tomek at scs.fsu.edu
Fri Jul 18 14:08:25 EDT 2008

Although I prefer a low cost approach to debugging which avoids dealing
with setup/system/compiler information at first and attempts to
eliminate 99% of the source code, here are  quick comments on your systems.

(1) pgi 6.0 is a quite antique compiler. It's so old that now I do not
even remember what problems we may have had with it. I suspect quite a
few and none of them might be relevant...

(2) As you might noticed, intel has a newer compiler version. Your
CentOS5 system needs upgrades on both mpich2 and compiler sides.

(3) Your Ubuntu system seems relatively up-to-date although HDF5 1.8.x
is out there and seems working fine.

(4) Compilers are known to do strange things to perfect codes! So if you
run into a trouble on a new system, one of the first things to try is to
lower compiler optimization level. Avoiding -fast or -ip or -inline is
usually a good idea. Simple -O0 may suffice for a couple of steps. As a
bonus, the code compiles fast. Then the trick is to get it crashing
quickly...

Again, I suggest to simplify your application, isolate the problem, fix
it, then find the best compiler, mpich, options, etc., to run your
production code.

Enjoy your weekend!

Tomek
--