[FLASH-USERS] gmake of FLASH3.0 under Solaris 5

Carlo Graziani carlo at oddjob.uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 10 23:02:15 EDT 2008

Geoff Bicknell wrote:
> I have been having problems gmaking a FLASH executable under Solaris
> 5.10. The computer is a SUN 4 dual cpu machine with AMD Opteron
> processors.
>
> After a number of F90 modules have been successfully compiled I get
> the message:
>
> if [ -s "nameValueLL_data.mod" -a "nameValueLL_data.mod" -nt
> "namevaluell_data.mod" ];then ln -f nameValueLL_data.mod
> namevaluell_data.mod;fi
> /bin/sh: test: unknown operator -nt
>
> The problem seems to be that in the Bourne shell in Solaris 5.10 the
> test program does not recognise the -nt option.
>
> I have tried replacing /bin/sh in all the FLASH3.0 scripts by
> /bin/bash using the following command (issued from the top FLASH3.0
> directory):
>
> find . -type f -exec fgres "/bin/sh" "/bin/bash" '{}' \;
>
> However, I still get the same error message.
>
> Any useful ideas would be appreciated.

Hi Geoff.

I believe that call to the shell is being generated by a system call in a
Python script, and not directly from a Bourne shell script.  So I don't
think that tree-global search-and-replace can possibly do any good.

Another possible strategy is to make a bin directory in your home
directory,  create a symlink from sh to /bin/bash (or to wherever your bash
lives) in that directory, and make sure that that personal bin directory
is first in your path when you start the build.  That is, something like:

mkdir $HOME/bin
cd $HOME/bin
ln -s /bin/bash sh
cd <Your Flash Tree>
env PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH <Your Flash setup command line>
env PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH make

I don't have a solaris box to test on, so I can't say for sure that this
will work, but it seems easy enough to try.

A shell alias that lets bash impersonate sh might work too.

Cheers,

Carlo

--
Carlo Graziani                                 (773) 702-7973 (Voice)
Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics       (773) 702-6645 (FAX)