[FLASH-USERS] VisIt 1.8.x

Randy Hudson hudson at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 24 15:16:00 EDT 2008

Hi,

I maintain the flash visit plugin at the Flash Center (among other
things).

I've learned that, at least on some flash data, VisIt 1.8.x operates
uselessly slowly.  E.g., a vector plot I did of a cylindrical subset
of the lowest
refinement level of a 7.5GB flash file took 14 times as long w/ visit
1.8.0 as w/ visit 1.7.1.

I've verified that the latest version of the plugin (that supports
file format version 9 of FLASH3) can be built and used w/ visit 1.7.1.

If you run into the problem I encountered, I recommend you fall back
to 1.7.1 and build the plugin with that.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Randy Hudson.