[FLASH-USERS] Error in AMR Prolong Routine

James Guillochon jfg at ucolick.org
Thu Apr 9 01:04:09 EDT 2009

Hi guys,

I am running a simulation in FLASH 3.0 using multiple species, and
after about 5000 time steps, I run into the following error:

[amr_prolong_gen_unk1_fun] PE=      7, ivar= 13, value= 24.0
Trying to convert non-zero mass-specific variable to per-volume form
in monotonic mesh interpolation, but dens is zero!

The ivar = 13 being referred to here is the first species in my
species list defined in Flash.h, which at the time of the abort is
equal to smallx everywhere. It appears from the code that the recv
variable array must have a zero value for density in at least one grid
cell, but as far as I'm aware the density variable should never drop
below smallrho!

Tracking the origin of this issue could take a very long time, so I
was hoping someone here has encountered this issue before and knows of
a remedy? Is there anywhere in FLASH where the density is set
explicitly to zero?

Thanks!

--
James Guillochon