[FLASH-USERS] Novice FLASH3 questions

Andrew Szymkowiak andrew.szymkowiak at yale.edu
Mon May 25 13:42:21 EDT 2009

I am working on constructing a new problem setup.  For my problem I will
need to supply (time-variable) boundary conditions, including magnetic
fields.
I am a big fan of starting with a (working) example, and modifying it.
So I've been working through the included demos, and have not found
quite enough of relevance.

Here are a list of questions/comments I've generated - I'd appreciate
any feedback any gurus wish to contribute...

(1) Does anyone have a setup along the lines I've mentioned that they
are willing to let me see?

WindTunnel is the only demo I'm finding w/ its own boundary condition
routines:

(2) am I correct that the user_bnd.F90 routine is not used in FLASH3?
(I suspect that this may be a FLASH2 remnant, and perhaps should be
removed from the distribution, as it is potentially confusing for the
newbies).

(3) The BC routine in the WindTunnel sim is Grid_applyBCEdge.F90. It
explicitly errors out if called with a face variable, and I'm relatively
sure I need to able to set face variables in order to insert magnetic
fields at the boundaries. Am I correct that I should probably do my
setup with a custom Grid_bcApplyToRegion.F90 (or
Grid_bcApplyToRegionSpecialized.F90)?

(4) I'm examining CurrentSheet which has an example of establishing
divergenceless conditions in the initBlock routine - are there any
obvious gotchas as I'm going to try to implement similar conditions in
the guard cells in the Grid_bcApplyToRegion routine?

Many thanks,
   Andy S.