[FLASH-USERS] "jet-by-hand" in unsplit

dongwook at flash.uchicago.edu dongwook at flash.uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 19 15:54:49 EST 2009

Hi Hal,

What kind of Riemann solver in the unsplit solver are you using for this
simulation?
It seems to me that you have some low density regions in your simulation,
which
could be vulnerable for unphysical negative states in density (or pressure).

To alleviate such situation, you may want to use HLL type of Riemann solver,
rather than a linearized Roe solver. HLL families of Riemann solvers preserve
solution positivity, which is not guaranteed in the Roe solver.

There are two HLL solvers in the unsplit hydro solver in FLASH 3.2: HLL
and HLLC.
HLL solver is quite diffusive and I suggest you use HLLC for accuracy and
stability.

Please let me know how it goes with HLLC solver, if you haven't tried yet.

Also, it will be very useful for me to give you more suggestions if you
provide
flash.par and log file you used.

Best,
Dongwook