[FLASH-USERS] 4000+ cpus on Franklin

Klaus Weide klaus at flash.uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 1 11:26:54 EDT 2009

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009, James Guillochon wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to restart a FLASH simulation on Franklin. If I run on 2000 cpus,
> the job runs fine, however if I try to push the code to 4000 cpus, I get the
> following error:
>
> abort_message [flash_convert_cc_hook] Trying to convert non-zero mass-specific
> variable to per-volume form, but dens is zero!

James,

As you have probably noticed, the problem (or at least the symptom) is
essentially the same as what you reported to flash-users in April:
unwanted zero values in DENS_VAR.  The code in flash_convert_cc_hook,
which triggers the abort, does essentially the same as the code in
amr_prolong_gen_unk1_fun, where the problem showed up in your previous
report.  I don't know what was ultimately the cause of the previous
problem, but you have solved it somehow; could the cause be similar this
time?

Please remind us whether you are using the latest released version of
FLASH.  Also,
 - does this problem occur immediately after restart, or some
   time later?
 - What are the last log file messages before the abort?
 - There should also have been a message on standard output, with
   additional information (PE, ivar, and value). Do you have that?
 - Does the problem occur on several PEs at the same time (your should
   then see several of the standard output messages), or only on one CPU?