[FLASH-USERS] How memory requirement calculations work ?

Anshu Dubey dubey at flash.uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 15 13:56:38 EDT 2009

Latif,

You should certainly be able to run 512^3 problem on your machine
unless you have an exorbitant number of variables. Uniform Grid will
be significantly cheaper than AMR memory wise, especially if you are
using 8^3 blocks. The simplest calculation of memory per variable is
as follows.

The amount of memory per  block is 16^3 words, where only 8^3 words
have the interior data, the remaining cells are for guard cells.
Effectively, for a 512^3 of actual data, 262144 blocks  or 262144*8^3
cells need to be stored per variable. If this same space was covered
with 32^3 blocks, then the numbers reduce to 4096 blocks and 4096*40^3
cells per variable. If you were to run the problem as a single block
then the number of cells is 520^3 words per variable.

AMR has several other memory overheads as well because a lot more
metadata and buffer storage is required. So if your mesh ends up being
uniform, you should absolutely use the UG implementation instead of
paramesh for your simulation.

Anshu