[FLASH-USERS] AMR Prolong Error

William Gray wgray at asu.edu
Mon Jan 25 12:45:04 EST 2010

Hello all,

I am running FLASH3.1.1 where I am using multiple species in a chemistry and cooling network. After my simulation runs for 5686 steps, I run into the error: [amr_long_gen_unk1_fun] PE= 190, ivar= 23, value=******. Trying to convert non-zero mass specific variable to per-volume form in monotonic mesh interpolation, but dens is zero! ivar=23 in this case is HD+ (ionized hydrogen deuteride). This also occurs right after a derefinement.

I have seen the other thread on this issue (http://flash.uchicago.edu/pipermail/flash-users/2009-April/002815.html). In my case, I impose a floor on my abundances after my chemistry routine to something much greater than smlrho (smlrho=1.0E-40, hd+ = 1.0E-19).

Is there any knowledge on this error and how to fix it? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

William Gray
PhD Canidate
School of Earth and Space Exploration