[FLASH-USERS] Problems with set_parm_in_context

Anshu Dubey dubey at flash.uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 25 16:37:11 EST 2010

Paul,

It has been a while since I have looked at FLASH2, so I may be wrong.
However, looking at the source code now, I see no evidence that
"mark_grid_refinement" is called from the default implementation of
init_from_checkpoint. It is called from "evolve", and when you use
"init_from_scratch", then there are calls to mesh_refine_derefine. I
do know more about what we do in FLASH 3, and since most of the logic
is similar, I am sure that FLASH 2 would be doing similar work at
initialization.

When you start from scratch, there is a process of refinement in a
loop to create the initial grid. There is no immediate need to refine
when you start from checkpoint. We do use update_refinement call, but
that is just to redistribute the blocks, there is no actual refinement
done. The code in FLASH 2 looks like it actually carries out the
distribution of blocks explicitly rather than handing control back to
paramesh.

Again, I could be wrong about all of this from being out of touch with
FLASH 2, but I do recommend that you make sure that
"mark_grid_refinement" is actually called from restart.

Best,
Anshu