[FLASH-USERS] Mass scalar question

John ZuHone jzuhone at cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 13 11:05:15 EDT 2010

William,

Mass scalars are defined from 0 to 1, so you need them to be Z = Z_wanted, as you said.

However, the way you set this up is up to you and whatever is most convenient with respect to the details of your initialization. You may find it easier to set your mass scalar directly, such as:

solnData(METL_MSCALAR,i,j,k) = metal_frac ! something between 0 and 1

or it may be easier to set it up in this way, if your initialization has a metal density of some kind.

solnData(METL_MSCALAR,i,j,k) = dens_metal / solnData(DENS_VAR,i,j,k)

But the main point is that your mass scalar is a *fraction*, and not a density.

Best,

John ZuHone