[FLASH-USERS] Smoothing of Particles over Multiple Blocks

Chalence Safranek-Shrader ctss at astro.as.utexas.edu
Fri Sep 3 12:01:54 EDT 2010

Hi Community,

I'm running a hydrodynamic simulation with FLASH's built in cosmology
module, adapted mainly from the pancake test problem. In this problem,
baryons are represented by a fluid while dark matter is represented by
discrete particles which only interact gravitationally.

The goal of our simulations is to probe star formation in high redshift
protogalaxies - this requires extreme resoution (sub parsec) in the
baryons. The simulation is initialized so that each individual zone has
one particle in it. However, as the simulation refines, the grid zones
inevitably far outweigh the number of dark matter particles. This is
unphysical and causes the particles to act as high gravity accretion
centers which artificially funnel baryons to them. This is a common
problem in cosmological simulations and has routinely been solved by
smoothing the influence of the dark matter particle at some level of
refinement (or length scale). This is the solution we're searching for
but are having a difficult time implementing it in FLASH.

Currently there is a particle mapping routine (pt_mapOneParticle, and
others) which has the capability to smooth a particle over its block,
but not over multiple blocks. We also considered mapping the particles
to a lower level of refinement and then prolong that mapping to all its
child blocks, but there appears to be no routine capable of that either.

Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions to this problem? Any
thoughts or insight would be extremely helpful.

Thanks very much,

Chalence Safranek