[FLASH-USERS] Viscosity and PPM

Samuel Friedman friedman at astro.wisc.edu
Sun Sep 12 12:24:36 EDT 2010

Dear Flash Users,

I'm looking at running a simulation with viscosity.  I am running FLASH3.2
and would like to use the PPM hydro unit with the viscosity unit.
However, the user's guide is not 100% clear about whether or not I can do
this.  And from what I can tell of the source code, FLASH does not run PPM
with (non-artifical) viscosity.

Sec 19.3 reads:

The Viscosity unit implements a prescription for computing viscosity
coefficients used by the Hydro PPM, the unsplit hydro and MHD solvers.

Sec 13.1.3 reads:
Diffusion terms: Non-ideal terms such as viscosity and heat conductivity
can be included in the unsplit hydro solver for simulating diffusive
process.

There is no mention about being able to run viscosity with PPM though in
the hydrodynamics unit (Sec 13).

As for the code, I can see both unsplit solvers asking for the value of
the runtime parameter "useViscosity", but PPM does not.

Am I missing something?

Sam