[FLASH-USERS] ppm_modifystates: Nonconvergence in subroutine rieman

John ZuHone jzuhone at cfa.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 18 13:16:16 EDT 2011

Sean,

If you're purposefully setting up a cloud in NON-hydrostatic equilibrium, setting ppm_modifystates will not be really useful for you... it's there for setting up initial atmospheres in hydrostatic equilibrium. The parameter itself modifies the way the Riemann states are calculated, so something (not sure what exactly) is going wrong with that. However, I don't think it should be set for your purposes.

I'm not sure what you mean by "It seems that the timestep calculation isn't adequately taking gravity into account." As it is, the FLASH code will compute the timestep of the hydrodynamics based on the velocity and sound speed of the gas, so your timestep will be set by whatever is the hottest and/or fastest cell:

dt = min(C*dx/(|v|+c_s)) (over all directions)

where C is a constant. You can tune this constant in your flash.par by setting "cfl" lower, if you haven't already.

Best,

John ZuHone