[FLASH-USERS] periodic/outflow BCs in PFFT+MG

Mateusz Ruszkowski mateuszr at umich.edu
Thu Aug 25 11:26:30 EDT 2011

    Hi All,

Does anybody know if it is possible to force the code to use "periodic"
boundary conditions for self-gravity (using PFFT + multigrid), i.e.,

grav_boundary_type = "periodic"

and to make the code recognize "outflow" boundary conditions for
hydrodynamics, i.e.,

xl_boundary_type            = outflow       , etc  ?

This could be a reasonable approximation if the self-gravitating source
weakly contributes to the gravitational acceleration close to the domain
boundary. An obvious advantage would be the speed-up of the computation
of the gravitational forces achievable via the parallel version of FFT.

I found an old posting on this on the FLASH e-mail list:

http://flash.uchicago.edu/pipermail/flash-users/2008-May/000186.html

and I was wondering if there have been new developments regarding this
issue.

    Thanks,
      Mateusz