[FLASH-USERS] How does FLASH3 calculate temperatures for checkpoint and plot dumps?

John ZuHone jzuhone at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Dec 16 14:32:23 EST 2011

Hi Dave,

> I'm using initial conditions from a colleague, so I don't know what all the nobs and switches do yet... but I've got:
>
> eos_singlespeciesA = 0.592
> eos_singlespeciesZ = 0.518
>
> I'm also using physics/Eos/EosMain/Gamma apparently.

That looks ok.. but what is gamma? I'm assuming it's 5/3, but we should check just to be sure.

> And yes, it's in the first iteration, it does look like some sort of setup issue. I wouldn't expect it to be a species issue, because I would've thought that'd give errors on order of the mean molecular mass - not factors of 10^17.

Well, since you're using the Gamma unit, then the above runtime parameters set everything, so there shouldn't be any species set up.

We should probably have a look at how the density, pressure, and temperature are being set up in Simulation_initBlock. Can you include the routine or at least just the relevant lines?

Best,

John Z