[FLASH-USERS] trouble compiling flash with hdf5

Stephen Brian Amsel samsel at umich.edu
Sat Jul 16 20:41:01 EDT 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to install FLASH4 (alpha) on machine with a Red Hat OS and
an Intel processor using the Intel compiler. (I could not find the
architecture of the Dell Optiplex GX620 if that matters.) A problem
arises in io_h5_type.h. The include-command for hdf5.h works, but not
the commands which use hid_t, which is used in hdf5.h. I get:
io_h5_type.h(10): error: identifier "hid_t" is undefined
   hid_t io_h5_type_hid_primitive(const int flashType);

and the same for lines 11-13.

When I got HDF5, I did not get all the headers. I found and downloaded
the HDF5 header, but if there are any others specific to HDF5 that I
need, I don't have them. I don't know if that is an issue as hid_t is
used in HDF5 and that did not produce an error either here or in a
test-program which included it. (The test-program compiled when it
called nothing but a printf to say it ran successfully, but ran into
an error when I tried to use hid_t.)

-Stephen