[FLASH-USERS] Equilibrium configuration

John ZuHone jzuhone at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 17 13:24:13 EDT 2011

Jesus,

I would actually not expect this setup to work all that well. Most certainly the central cell with the particles and the gas is not going to be in hydrostatic equilibrium. This would be true of the central cell even if you had the dark matter spread throughout, but in that case it would not be much of an issue since what you would get is some minor flattening of the gas density profile near the center.

But if I read you correctly you have the particles all dropped into this central zone, and the mass of this central zone alone is much larger than the mass of gas in the entire system, which means each of your particles is very massive. What velocities do you have them set to? Even if you set them initially to zero and they are all at the center you're going to get some spurious velocities. Since the particles are so massive the potential is probably changing a lot and this is throwing things out of equilibrium in the center.

Since the HSE is definitely broken in this cell and probably in a few cells surrounding it, I don't think it's surprising that you're seeing what you are. You are trying to simulate a point mass but severely underresolving it both in terms of spatial and mass resolution.

Is there a particular reason you're trying to represent a point mass in this way? There is a point mass gravitational acceleration option in FLASH that would probably be better suited for this purpose.

Best,

John ZuHone