[FLASH-USERS] Announcement of the 2012 yt Workshop at the FLASH Center in Chicago, Jan 24-26

John ZuHone jzuhone at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Oct 3 08:11:14 EDT 2011

Dear FLASH-users,

Previously on this list, we announced the release of yt-2.0, an analysis and visualization toolkit for handling astrophysical simulation data. yt is able to conduct quantitative analysis such as arbitrary multi-dimensional profiling, halo finding, detailed inspection of individual grid and simulation objects, and visualizations such as projections, slices, volume renderings, and off-axis projections. yt provides support for a number of astrophysical simulation codes, with extensive support for Enzo, FLASH, and RAMSES/BoxLib.

Since yt now fully supports FLASH 3/4, we think that the birthplace of the FLASH code is a great location to host a workshop for you to learn how to use yt for visualization and analysis of your simulation data. Thus, the FLASH Center has graciously offered to host a yt workshop in Chicago, from Jan 24-26, 2012.  This workshop will start with basic yt usage, move on to advanced and parallel usage, and then finally address how to modify, extend and contribute to yt.

We have identified a hotel in downtown Chicago (near the river, just off Michigan Avenue) that we are able to book double-occupancy rooms for $99/night, pre-tax.  We are eagerly pursuing funding opportunities, but as of yet have not secured funding for participant costs; if we are able to do so, it will likely cover hotel stays for a limited number of individuals willing to share rooms, for the four nights of the workshop.

As we prepare hotel reservations, funding applications and other technicalities, we need to get a sense of not only how many people are potentially going to attend, but also their current career stage, funding availability and so on. If you are interested in attending the workshop, we would greatly appreciate it if you would visit the following URL and fill out the Google Form:

http://goo.gl/xElrB

Once we have the details of the conference settled, further information will be forthcoming regarding registration, accommodations, and possible financial support.

To find out more about yt:

http://yt-project.org

For specific questions regarding the workshop, please email John ZuHone at jzuhone [at] milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov.

Sincerely,

The yt development team