[FLASH-USERS] Checkboard of Magnetic Monopoles

dongwook at flash.uchicago.edu dongwook at flash.uchicago.edu
Tue Apr 17 23:40:02 EDT 2012

Aaron,

> Update:
>
> The monopole checkerboard is only present when using the USM solver, the
> 8wave solver is unaffected.

This is very true because the USM solver is very sensitive to divB
initialization and is a very different scheme than the 8wave solver. In
general, the monopole issue you're seeing is mostly caused by the wrong
initial condition or the boundary conditions of the cell
interface-centered magnetic fields (facevars in the code).

The USM solver treats divB using the so-called constrained transport
method which makes sure that divB~10^(-12) or lower providing machine
accuracy in handling the divB constraint on a staggered grid. It will
remain to be such a small magnitude ONLY IF the initial divB is ~
10^(-12); otherwise it will grow.

The 8wave solver doesn't need such careful divB initializations nor
preserve divB. The scheme just advects the monopole effects out of the
domain without accumulating them. And divB ~ 10^(-1) or so.

> None of the following numerical parameters
> have any affect on the structure of the checkboard: number of guard cells,
> solver order, E_modification, energyFix, prologation method, Riemann
> solver, nblockx, boundary conditions, computational volume, and cooling
> rate.

Can you please check if your initial divB is small too? Do you have any
special boundary conditions? In general, if you can tell me more about
your simulation along with your log file and flash.par, it will be helpful
to understand the issue better.

> The monopoles typically appear in the top right quarter of each
> CPU's domain, but can vary slightly (see pictures).

Best,
Dongwook