[FLASH-USERS] Problems Calculating B-Fields in Partially Ionized Plasma with USM

Patrick Rieser patrick.rieser at uibk.ac.at
Thu Aug 9 10:22:26 EDT 2012

So I am still trying to simulate a optical thin plasma where neutrals
and ions exist. The Ionization module seems to work (though there are
some problems / questions left) but I am not quite sure about the MHD
solver, if the B-fields are calculated right!

Klaus Weide wrote:
> Note that when you have species defined, the Hydro and MHD solvers should
> in effect already integrate several densities, without any further effort:
> namely, partial densities for the various species as well as the usual
> total density.  (This is basically done by advecting the mass fractions.)

Are you sure about that? Because when I look at the USM solver, there
seems to be only one density. I mean it does the Advection of the mass
fractions, but when solving the MHD equations it only seems to use the
total density. So it seems to calculate the B-Fields from the total
density (including neutrals), total energy etc, which I think yields
wrong fields!

I talked to a theoretical plasma physicist yesterday and he told me that
in principle one has to solve the MHD equations for the ionized
particles and the neutral particles (including source terms for
ionization!) together. One could, if the solver is explicit (is it?),
first calculate the ionization, then use the MHD solver on the ionized
particles and finally use a modified MHD solver in the same time step
(without all the magnetic parts) on the neutral particles. And repeat
this every step. But this would mean, one would have to introduce
different densities, energies etc. for the ionized and neutral particles
and modify every place where a call to those is made. And as far as I
see this would be an enormous task (even more for a master thesis).

Does anybody have suggestions about how to solve this problem, i.e. how
to get the correct B-fields?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best wishes,
Patrick Rieser