[FLASH-USERS] FLASH4-beta released

dongwook at flash.uchicago.edu dongwook at flash.uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 2 13:58:33 EST 2012

Dear James,

There are two things that have been done for the gravity coupling to hydro
routines. Note that this is only for the unsplit hydry/MHD solvers, and
nothing to do with the split PPM solver.

One of them is a bug fix and the other is an improvement:

(1) Half time (n+1/2) gravitational potential update (coupling) with hydro
(bug fix):

In the routine hy_uhd_addGravityUnsplit.F90, we had a wrong implementation
in adding the three gravitational potential accelerations (x, y, and z
directions) to hydro as source terms. This fix only affects when using
Poisson solver to calculate gravitational potential:

  use_gravHalfUpdate = .true.
  use_gravPotUpdate = .true.
  use_gravConsv = .false.

This will NOT affect if not using the potential update

  use_gravHalfUpdate = .true.
  use_gravPotUpdate = .false.
  use_gravConsv = .false. (or .true.)

Note that use_gravPotUpdate = .true. only works with use_gravConsv = .false.

(2) n+1 update of gravity as a source term (improvement):
What we had before was to add gravity components to momenta first and then
energy. However, after carefully testing a set of numerical problems and
comparing the unsplit solver's results with those of the split PPM solver,
we found that the ordering should be changed. We now have energy update
first followed by momenta update.

Hope this helps for you. Thank you for your interest in this FLASH4-beta
release.

Best,
Dongwook
Dongwook Lee, Ph.D., Research Scientist