[FLASH-USERS] Unsplit Hydro Solvers: Why and When?

Tomasz Plewa tplewa at fsu.edu
Fri Feb 10 13:13:19 EST 2012

The problem with artifacts in degenerate conditions was initially
related to the PPM solver, not an unsplit solver (which was not
available at that time). Perhaps this has changed over time?

Still, the best way of learning about particular method is to review
published test cases. Perhaps FLASH documentation could offer some
references and basic information even if in condensed form, but this
will never be as complete as simply reading the original method paper
(assuming the code has been verified).

In this context, it would be helpful to construct a consolidate summary
of classic verification tests similar to the one produced by Liska &
Wendroff in their 2003 paper. I understand such a database can be quite
easily constructed and made available online for a review on a daily
basis (with access restricted to licensed FLASH users, if such a
restriction is deemed necessary for any reason).

Tomek