[FLASH-USERS] Using FLASH with GDL

Amol Holkundkar amol.h at gmx.com
Thu Jun 28 04:39:32 EDT 2012

Dear All,

I am just wondering if we can use FLASH with open source alternative of
IDL called GDL
(GNU Data Language http://gnudatalanguage.sourceforge.net/ )

I tried to compile the code using GDL, it complied but while running its
giving following error,

/*********************************************************************/

$ XFLASH3_DIR="/home/amol/Documents/FLASH/FLASH4-beta/tools/fidlr3.0"
$ export XFLASH3_DIR
$ gdl

GDL> .run xflash3.pro
% Compiled module: XFLASH_EVENT.
% Compiled module: XFLASH3.
GDL> xflash3
initializing xflash3
... IDL version = 6.0
... PNG graphics will be used
% Compiled module: GET_XFLASH_PATH.
... current path
is /home/amol/Documents/FLASH/FLASH4-beta/tools/fidlr3.0
... XFLASH_DIR is /home/amol/Documents/FLASH/FLASH4-beta/tools/fidlr3.0/
% Compiled module: XFLASH_DEFAULTS.
% Compiled module: VAR_INDEX.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I think the error is coming because of the stuff in "var_index.pro"

Any suggestions to resolve this issue.

It would be nice if we can compile the FLASH using GDL which is
completely free and open source.

Thanks,

Regards
Amol Holkundkar