[FLASH-USERS] Adding new particle attributes to be written to the particles output file

Nathan Goldbaum goldbaum at ucolick.org
Tue Mar 6 20:46:57 EST 2012

Hello all,

I'm working with a new particle type in FLASH4-beta.  In the Config file for the new particle type, I define several new PARTICLEPROP variables.  Right now the particle data are written to plain ascii files using a hardcoded subroutine in IO_writePlotfile.F90.  This works, but the resulting ascii files are difficult to parse and will break depending on the problem configuration or if one tried to run a simulation with more than one particle type.  I'd really like to write out my particle data to the hdf5 particle files.

I'm curious how I would go about doing that.  When I try to force flash to write particle files, it looks like no data actually gets dumped (the localnp dataset consists of an array of nblocks zeros).  How do I register my new particle type with the hdf5 output routines?

There is also an 'unknown names' dataset that contains garbled versions of the PARTICLEPROP variables I set in the config file for the new particle type.  Does anyone know how I register the PARTICLEPROP strings with the hdf5 output routines?

Nathan Goldbaum
Graduate Student
Astronomy & Astrophysics, UCSC
goldbaum at ucolick.org