[FLASH-USERS] Does FFT subroutine work with every domain discretization?‏‏

Paul Ricker pmricker at illinois.edu
Mon Oct 1 14:19:30 EDT 2012

Marco,

Here are answers to your questions.

1a. The single-block FFT routines require mesh sizes that are powers of
     two. I don't know about PFFT. Given the oct-tree mesh, you would
     only encounter non-power-of-two global meshes when using multiple
     coarsest-level blocks.
1b. I have no intention of doing so myself. However, the interfaces to
     the FFT routines (fftsg.f etc.) are well-documented, so it shouldn't
     be difficult to modify FFT routines from a different package to
     plug into the FLASH single-block solver routines
     (gr_hgPoissonSolve*D.F90).
2.  Yes, you would just need a different Green's function. These are
     defined for different boundary conditions and dimensions in
     gr_hgPoissonSolve*D.F90 (for single blocks) and
     gr_pfftPoissonDirect.F90 (for PFFT).

Best,
Paul

--