[FLASH-USERS] Problem at refinement region boundary

Markus Haider markus.haider at uibk.ac.at
Sun Sep 16 15:22:14 EDT 2012

Hi everyone,

I am seeing some strange artefacts in plots of the temperature (and eint
and pres) at the edge of refinement levels, and I don't really have an
idea where I should start to look for errors.

Here is a plot of the temperature (z=8):
http://ubuntuone.com/1SebX1vAk0clRvPiXfWFP4

In contrast, the density plot looks fine:
http://ubuntuone.com/2lxUZ42iWdnqKWClKW335K

In the output file I get many warnings like this (numbers change a bit):
WARNING after gc filling: min.
unk(EINT_VAR)=91065420.08702280                PE
=18    block=18                               type=1

Could this be related?

Here is some information about the simulation: I simulate a galaxy
cluster in a 20 Mpc/h box. I use a static mesh refinement with 5 nested
levels. The simulation was done using the PPM solver and periodic
boundary conditions. I used the FLASH 3.3 version. I should note that I
ported this simulation setup from a modified version of FLASH 3.1.1, and
there this problem did not occur.

I would be happy if someone has an idea about what could be responsible
for my problem,

Thanks for your help,
Markus