[FLASH-USERS] Problem at refinement region boundary (was: Boundary condition problem)

Klaus Weide klaus at flash.uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 20 17:38:25 EDT 2012

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012, Markus Haider wrote:

> I did some more investigation of this problem. If I run this code in a
> modified version of Flash 3.1.1 using the unsplit 3D staggered mesh solver the
> artifacts do not occur. If I however switch (leaving everything else
> unchanged) to the Split PPM solver the artifacts are present.
>
> As stated, the artifacts are present only in temperature, energy and pressure.

Markus,

It would be interesting to know whether this difference still occurs in
FLASH 4.0.

This seems to be a Hydro (not MHD) simulation, even though in FLASH 3.1.1
you had to use the "unsplit 3D staggered mesh solver" to get an unsplit
hydro solver.  More recent FLASH versions should be much better to use for
unsplit Hydro, since a separate solver implementation exits
(in the Hydro_Unsplit directory).