[FLASH-USERS] Variable output format

John ZuHone jzuhone at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Jan 15 11:41:49 EST 2013

Hi Henry,

How many blocks do you have in your simulation? Normally, in a FLASH dataset, the first number in the shape is the number of blocks, and the other dimensions correspond to the shape of each individual block, which, for your simulation, appears to be 2D with 8 zones on a side. The shape is transposed in the HDF5 file, so it corresponds to this form:

(number_of_blocks, nzb, nyb, nxb)

I agree with Anthony that yt is the way to go for analyzing FLASH data. You can access the documentation here:

http://yt-project.org/doc/index.html

and find specific examples of how to make plots and do other analysis here:

http://yt-project.org/doc/cookbook/index.html

Best,

John