[FLASH-USERS] ERROR in mpi_morton_bnd_prol

Christopher Daley cdaley at flash.uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 23 11:16:20 EST 2013

Hi Marco,

You should increase maxblocks because a value of maxblocks=4 is too
low.  You are using large blocks (32^3) and so memory usage prevents
you setting maxblocks too high, but I would suggest for this problem
you need a value of at least 10 for maxblocks.

The specific error you show is happening because data cannot be found
in a array of size maxblocks_alloc, where the default value of
maxblocks_alloc is maxblocks * 10.  Internally Paramesh has many
arrays of size maxblocks_alloc which hold e.g. various information
about the local view of the oct-tree.  A technique we have used in the
past when there is insufficient memory to make maxblocks much larger
and we need to avoid errors like you show is to make maxblocks_alloc
larger in amr_initialize.F90, e.g. maxblocks_alloc = maxblocks * 20.
You should also change maxblocks_tr to be the same size as
maxblocks_alloc.

Finally, if you don't need AMR then you should use the FLASH uniform
grid (you have a fully refined domain at level 5).  Memory usage will
be less and guard cell fills will be much faster.

Chris