[FLASH-USERS] (no subject)

Michael Sabino michael.rocco.sabino at gmail.com
Thu May 23 02:12:26 EDT 2013

Hi,

I would like to introduce myself to this group. My name is Michael Sabino,
and I am drawn here due to my fascination of simulations of
fusion+hydro+grav+... on computers.

First things first, and my first goal is to simulate something I can
understand, and then hopefully get across to others.

I'd looked at SpeciesList.txt to add deuterium, tritium, and helium-4 to
simulate detonation in those materials (primarily to familiarize myself
with some aspects of FLASH), and I believe I've added them correctly, but I
get some unexpected results.

The main question is: What are the last and 2nd to last fields in the
SpeciesList.txt that are identified with "??" in the
Simulation_initSpecies.F90 comment? Are they important?

The model I am using is a modified version of CellularDetonation, where I
added deuterium and tritium in place of carbon-12 and attempted to detonate
a 50:50 mixture of it.

The spurious results I wasn't expecting were issues with the density in the
grid cells showing up as a very low number and erroring out to stdout. So
low, that it was below the smlrho and nuclearDensMin settings. I had to
lower those. The low values of density presumably have something to do with
the low temperature and density fusion requirements of DT and DD, which I
configured in my upstream temperature and density profile in flash.par.
After disabling useShockBurn and doing the above, it seemed to be
proceeding without errors (albeit slowly, since it was evaluating the
fusion routines a lot more), but I'll keep you up-to-date.

Thanks,
Michael Sabino
Michael.Rocco.Sabino at gmail.com