[FLASH-USERS] Parameters for outer zone structure in new multipole gravity

Dean Townsley Dean.M.Townsley at ua.edu
Tue Oct 8 16:48:07 EDT 2013

Hi everyone,

I think I could figure this out digging through the code, but I figured
others might be interested and someone might be able to give just give
some quick answers.

Or if this is in the documentation somewhere please bump my nose on it,
as I didn't find it among the descriptions that are there.  I also don't
recall this coming up on the mailing list before.

How do the different outer zones fit together for the new multipole
poisson solver?  I assume there is only one grid, and the different
zones define how the spacing is chosen.  But the zones are "nested"
correct?  But this is just used to generate the grid.  The "outer" outer
zone doesn't influence the spacing in the inner outer zones, right?

Also, how is the "maximum domain size" that mpole_zone_radius_fraction_n
acts upon determined?  i.e. does it matter where the zero of the
coordinates system is?  or is it just "corner to corner" of the whole
domain?

Do I need to tune the parameters so that the bin sizes match near the
zone borders?  Assuming that's what I want, so that I have a smooth
transition in zone sizes.

Also, is there any problem with changing these parameters
mid-calculation? Or if the maximum refinement level changes?

It seems useful to have a partially concrete example...
Say I want the grid for the multipole moment calculation to be uniform
out to some radius R, and then logarithmic from there out. My maximum
radius is Rmax, and my domain size is 2*Rmax, since my origin is in the
middle of the domain.  Are these the right parameters?

mpole_max_radial_zones = 2

mpole_zone_radius_fraction_1 = R/(2*Rmax)
mpole_zone_radius_fraction_2 = 1

mpole_zone_type_1 = "exponential"
mpole_zone_exponent_1 = 1    # this is actually uniformly spaced

mpole_zone_type_2 = "logarithmic"
mpole_zone_exponent_2 = delta r/R

mpole_zone_scalar_1 = 1
mpole_zone_scalar_2 = 1

where delta r is my grid spacing, and therefore also the size of the
bins in the first zone.

I think this choice of zone_exponent_2 = t_2 is right, as it gives me
dr/dQ|_{r(Q)=R} \approx t*R = delta r.  As best I can tell, the other
parameter, s, doesn't help in setting the size of the bins near r=R in
this example.

Any thoughts are welcome from someone who knows more about the new
multipole solver than I do.

Thanks!
Dean