[FLASH-USERS] Strange discrepancy in Dark Matter structure of cosmological simulation

John ZuHone jzuhone at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sun Sep 8 09:48:51 EDT 2013

Josef,

First, thank you for the very thorough investigation you've done of this problem.

I did have a few thoughts on maybe how to try to weed this one out:

1) I wonder a little bit about this:

> Since this simulation basically only includes cosmology, self-gravity, active particles and hydro, we can only make out three possible points, which could influence the DM evolution: the cosmology, the gravity or the LeapfrogCosmo unit.

Why not hydro? Certainly the baryonic component is very small by mass, but in some collapsed regions the effect would not be completely insignificant. I'm guessing you're right, but I would just throw that one out there for consideration.

2) Which Driver unit are you using? Split or Unsplit? Have you tried this with the other one?

3) Could you try setting up the Zeldovich pancake problem (without hydro) in all three codes? This should provide a clean, unambiguous point of comparison.

4) Thanks for sending the flash.par, but could you also send along the setup_units and setup_call files? I'd like to see what units are being employed.

I think that somewhere between these we could get to the bottom of this.

Best,

John