[FLASH-USERS] StirTurb Restart

Christoph Federrath christoph.federrath at monash.edu
Mon Sep 9 18:27:25 EDT 2013

Hi Evan, Hi Klaus,

I'm not sure what exactly the problem is, but I figured that all out long time ago when I switched to FLASH3 and now FLASH4, as I've been running turbulent stirring for years now in FLASH. First, I have to say that the existing "stirturb" module does not produce a purely solenoidal driving field contrary to what the manual says; there is a bug in how the projection in Fourier space is done. I also had to modify the IO routines if I remember correctly to get the restarting fixed. Basically, the modes and other variables were not written to the checkpoint file, and so the simulation did not continue correctly on restart (meaning it probably did restart, but gave results that depended on whether a restart was done or not). I have fixed this, but I went further and modified the stirring module to now read in a predefined forcing sequence, which we used in a code comparison.

My plan was to make the modified turbulence driving module available anyway at some point. If anybody is interested, I can send it to you; works well on restart; supports purely solenoidal or compressive driving and any combination; and allows to define stirring with a predefined sequence (you can always reconstruct the driving sequence afterwards, extend it, etc).

Kind regards,

Christoph

PS: Here are some works using the modified stirring module in FLASH:
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2010A%26A...512A..81F
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2010MNRAS.406.1659P
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2013arXiv1306.3989F

Dr. Christoph Federrath