[FLASH-USERS] Load Balancing with the Burn Unit

James Guillochon jguillochon at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 22 16:00:03 EDT 2014

Hi all, I'm running a simulation using one of the burning networks, which
unfortunately is leading to a runtime efficiency of 35% as only ~10% of
blocks are above the burning network thresholds, but those blocks take
several times longer than non-burning regions.

I noticed that the only weighting done currently is to give leaf blocks a
factor of "2", and everything else "1". I think it would be relatively easy
to count cells that have burned in a block, and then add an additional work
factor to account for this overhead (say number of cells burned times a
constant, with a block in which all cells are burning being a factor of
5-10 times more expensive). Ideally I'd want FLASH's efficiency to be 80%+
no matter what the Burn unit is doing.

My question is in implementation: Would it make sense to add to the
"work_block" (which is in the "tree" module) scaling factor directly in the
Burn unit? Or is this the wrong place in the code to make this change?

Thanks!
- James

--
James Guillochon
Einstein Fellow at the Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jguillochon at cfa.harvard.edu