[FLASH-USERS] Bug in Ionize Unit

Jason Galyardt jason.galyardt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 15:33:56 EDT 2014

Dear FLASH Users,

Since I can't submit to the flash-bugs list, and there's no public bug
tracking system, I'm submitting my bug report here. If there's a better
forum for such communications, by all means let me know.

I've come across a bug in the Ionize unit which prevents an update to the
internal energy due to evolution of the population fractions. Specifically,
the file in question is [FLASH4.2.2]:

source/physics/sourceTerms/Ionize/IonizeMain/Ionize.F90 .

The lines in question are lines 128 - 140; an update to the internal energy
is calculated and stored in the local variable 'ei', but never propagated
to the 'solnData' array. When the equation of state is invoked later on (in
MODE_DENS_EI mode, no less), it uses the old internal energy as input. The
updated internal energy from the Ionize unit is thus thrown away.

To fix this bug, the internal energy should be updated in the solnData
array, along with the total energy (the following 2 lines replace line 137
in IonizeMain/Ionize.F90):

solnData(EINT_VAR,i,j,k) = ei
solnData(ENER_VAR,i,j,k) = ei + ek

I do not have any data on the effects of this bug, but it does seem to have
existed since at least FLASH 2.5. Please let me know if you need more
information.

Best Regards,

Jason Galyardt, PhD
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy