[FLASH-USERS] Troubles with BDRY variable and UHD (FLASH4.2.1)

Morgan MacLeod morganmacleod at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 13:12:47 EDT 2014

Dear all,

I encountered an issue in moving a setup I have been working with from
FLASH4.0.1 to FLASH4.2.1. I'm hoping someone here can point out where I'm
going wrong in adopting the new UHD module.

I found that the unsplit hydro option
order=3
would lead to a segmentation fault at the very first timestep in 3D
simulations in which a BDRY variable is being used to create a solid
boundary. With order=2, the simulation runs.

I backtracked a bit and am able to reproduce the problem I'm having most
simply by starting with the Sedov setup:
./setup Sedov -3d -auto +uhd +pm4dev
works fine with the default flash.par (which calls for order=3).

If I edit the Config file of Sedov to include a variable BDRY (by adding
the a line "VARIABLE BDRY" to the end of the file), but make no other
changes, the code crashes during the first timestep (with a seg fault).

If I then set order=2, the code appears to run.

Similarly, if the setup is in 2D no issues present themselves.

I am using ifort  14.0.1 to compile.  Perhaps I am passing some conflicting
options in my setup line? Or maybe this is a bug? Either way, I'm hoping
someone can advise me on how to proceed. Let me know if more information
would be useful.

Thank you for the help!

Morgan