[FLASH-USERS] refinement problems with FLASH 4.2

Christoph Federrath christoph.federrath at monash.edu
Wed May 21 11:58:42 EDT 2014

Hi Thomas, Hi Kevin,

I don't think it's the refinement criterion. There shouldn't be big jumps and I don't think there are. Isn't it that you simply plot values very close to zero in velz? This is basically a slice in the mid plane of the disk, which should actually have zero velocity in z direction, because everything is symmetric in z direction? Thus, the velocity in the z=0 plane should be zero and what you are plotting is basically numerical noise around zero values?

I'm also wondering whether this particular plotting issue might have something to do with the way xflash interpolates values? Have you tried using visit and making the same cut in z? Definitely, the velz axis you are showing is funny and seems skewed to negative values, but they are all quite small compared to sound speed. If this is really a cut at exactly z=0, then the z velocity should be zero.

What paramesh lib (implementation) are you using? And what hydro/MHD solver are you using? Is this in the latest FLASH4.2.1?

Kind regards,

Christoph

Dr. Christoph Federrath
Monash Centre for Astrophysics,