[FLASH-USERS] refinement problems with FLASH 4.2

Thomas Peters tpeters at physik.uzh.ch
Thu May 22 07:36:46 EDT 2014

Dear Kevin, Christoph and John,

the attached slice shows that the density field is smooth across
refinement boundaries. Since the velocity field jumps across the
boundary, the momentum must jump as well.

I have also attached slices at exactly z = 0, as well as at 10 and 20
times the finest grid size off the midplane. The effect is still clearly
visible, there are just fewer jumps in refinement in that region.

I would not call this "noise" since in these slices, the z-velocity is
of the same size as the x- and y-velocities were in the previous slices.

Not sure if this helps, but I have not seen this effect in any of the
collapse simulations I have run with FLASH 2.5.

Best regards,
Thomas

Am 2014-05-21 23:50, schrieb Kevin Olson:
> Dear Thomas Christoph, John,
>
> The variable you might want to look instead of velocity is
> momentum...momentum is a conserved quantity: FLASH (with Paramesh)
> guarantees conservation even at refinement jumps.  There is no
> guarantee that non-conserved quantities will behave properly at
> refinement jumps.
>
> Best,
> Kevin
>
> On May 21, 2014, at 12:54 PM, Thomas Peters wrote:
>
>> Dear Kevin, Christoph and John,
>>
>> this is not a plotting issue, I can see these jumps using yt as well.
>> Also, I don't think this is noise since the maximum velz value is only
>> a factor of 10 smaller than the maxmimum velx value (in magnitude).
>> The slices are not centered around zero but on the cell with the
>> highest density. I am using the default paramesh library and hydro
>> solver of the setup in FLASH 4.2.0.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Thomas
>>

>> Am 2014-05-21 18:43, schrieb John ZuHone:
>>> Thomas,
>>> I would also suggest looking at the dataset in yt:
>>> http://yt-project.org [2]
>>> A python script that would get you going with looking at slices is:
>>> from yt.mods import *
>>> ds = load(your_filename)
>>> slc = SlicePlot(ds, "z", ["velx", "vely", "velz"])
>>> slc.annotate_grids()