[FLASH-USERS] Performance numbers

Sean Couch smc at flash.uchicago.edu
Sat Nov 1 14:11:31 EDT 2014

Hi Kevin,

This is pretty delayed so I hope it is still useful to you…

Performance is very machine- and problem-dependent, but for TACC Stampede, a more or less commodity Intel cluster, I have measured FLASH performance for the unsplit hydro solver using PARAMESH (;-)) AMR at about 1.0e-8 core-hours per zone per step in 3D.  And this weak scales nearly perfectly up to at least 4096 cores. YMMV.

Cheers,
Sean

Sean M. Couch
Sr. Postdoctoral Scholar
Theoretical Astrophysics Including Relativity
California Institute of Technology
Mail Code 350-17
Pasadena, CA  91125
(626) 395-4282