[FLASH-USERS] Domain issues in the core-collapse problem

Cole Holcomb cholcomb at astro.princeton.edu
Thu Nov 6 17:30:46 EST 2014

Dear Flash Users,

I am currently working on a setup in FLASH to study aspects of the CCSN problem. For now I’m using 1D spherical coordinates (eventually I’ll move to 3D) with the multipole gravity solver. I would ultimately like to do two things that I’m not sure are possible in FLASH:

1. Excise an inner region with radius less than some value, and simply compute the gravity from the excised mass as a point source. This would seem to involve both modifying the gravity solver to allow xmin > 0 (perhaps not possible with the multipole solver), and creating a hybrid between the poisson gravity solver and the point mass gravity implementation. My main interest will be in the outer regions of the star, so I don’t want my timestep to be limited by the inner regions.

2. Have a moving grid, so that the domain can expand over time. I haven’t seen any mention of this capability in FLASH, so I’m guessing it isn’t possible, but I thought I’d ask anyway.

If anyone has any advice on the best way to go forward with either of these goals (particularly 1.), I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Cole Holcomb

--
Cole Holcomb