[FLASH-USERS] How to turn off the radiation?

Klaus Weide klaus at flash.uchicago.edu
Tue Nov 11 22:00:19 EST 2014

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014, pchang wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am running a simulation of heating gas using laser. For the first test, I
> would like to use ideal gas model for the gas and the plastic (CH) container.
> Also, I would like to turn off the radiation for now. Do I just not include
> the MGD package, i.e., do not have "+mgd" in the setup option?

That should about do it.

Make sure you don't have any lines like

   REQUIRES .../Opacity ...
   REQUIRES .../RadTrans ...

in your simulation's Config file that would unexpectedly pull in the
RadTrans or Opacity units.

You can then also get rid of any 'mgd_meshgroups=...' from the setup
command.

Your FLASH executable will still be built 3T mode (because I assume you
use +uhd3t or similar in your setup command), so there will still be
variables reserved for energy, pressure, and "temperature" of radiation.
You should initialize these to zero in your Simulation_initBlock or, if
that causes problems at runtime, to very small values.