[FLASH-USERS] Question about ray tracing

pchang pchang at lle.rochester.edu
Mon Nov 17 16:40:30 EST 2014

Hi all,
I am simulating a cylindrical target being imploded by illuminating 10
laser beams around the cylindrical target. I start with the fully
azimuthal symmetric case first, i.e., all the beams are point to z-axis
(r=0). Following are my questions:
(1) In 2D laser ray tracing in 2D cylindrical symmetric simulation, does
it take the average of the laser energy in azimuthal direction? or does
it just treat the azimuthal direction as one of the boundary? In my
case, 10 beams distributed in azimuthal direction uniformly. How do I
setup the beams?
(a) have only one beam on the plane of phi=0 with the actual laser
energy of single beam?
(b) have only one beam on the plane of phi=0 and with the actual total
laser energy of 10 beams?
(c) have all the beams given in the flash.par with the correct pointing
setup?

(2) The same question, what if I am using 3D laser ray tracing in 2D
cylindrical symmetric simulation?

(3) I may use up to 40 beams in future. Especially I may use 3D ray
tracing in 2D cylindrical symmetry since I may point the laser off
z-axis. Do I type the laser setting manually in flash.par? or can I have
a subroutine to generate the beams just like Simulation_initBlock.f90 is
used to generate the target?

Thank you

Po-Yu

--