[FLASH-USERS] resolving small scales on a large domain

Mario Manuel mmanuel at umich.edu
Mon Sep 15 17:49:54 EDT 2014

Hi,

I am trying to setup a simulation that looks at RT growth of seeded perturbations on a laser-accelerated foil. The foil parameters I'd like to implement is a 21um thick foil with a 0.27um sinusoidal amplitude perturbation on it. I have altered the LaserSlab simulation initBlock to do this and I can successfully create a 21um thick foil with a 2um perturbation, but as I try to make the perturbation smaller, the foil entirely disappears from the domain. I have tried to change the lrefine_max parameter to get the resolution I need, but have been thus far unsuccessful at getting down to the sub micron level that i need to run the simulation. I also ran the ./setup with nxb=32 and nyb=32 to try to get at the problem, but still to no avail.

The domain is rather large, 300 um X 1100 um, due to the fact that I need to have some computational space given to the laser-plasma interaction and to allow the foil to accelerate and move during the simulation.

Any thoughts on how I could better implement my problem?

Cheers,
Mario

Dr. Mario Manuel
Einstein Postdoctoral Fellow, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
mmanuel at umich.edu
617-899-8381

University of Michigan
Space Research Building